55 Free Goods for Your School

If you’re a teacher your job is about to get a little easier!

While teacher and student discounts seem to be available everywhere, free goods and teaching helps for your classroom can be more challenging to find. Finding free goods that aren’t digital can be even harder.  

We’ve compiled a list of freebies to support your teaching, ranging from aquarium tickets and magazines to books and classroom supplies. Keep your teacher’s ID handy and get ready to grab some of these resources.

pointerFree Admission

Whether it’s free admission for your next science field trip or a one-year pass to LEGOLAND in Florida, we’ve got the scoop on access.

1. LEGOLAND – Get a complimentary one-year pass for K-12 teachers in Florida.

2. SEA LIFE Aquarium – A free, one1-year pass to SEA LIFE Aquarium for K-12 teachers in Florida. 

3. SeaWorld – The Texas, California, and Florida SeaWorld locations offer a free teacher pass.

4. Shedd Aquarium – Free teacher pass for educators from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

5. New England Aquarium – Free pass for teachers in New England to the New England Aquarium.

6. The Florida Aquarium – Free study pass for K-12 teachers in Florida.

7. Philadelphia Zoo – Free summer break pass for teachers and principals to the Philadelphia Zoo.

8. Kennedy Space Center – Free study pass for teachers from Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, GA, and FL.

9. Country Music Hall of Fame – Free admission for Tennessee teachers planning a field trip.

The Kennedy Space Center building in Florida

Jellyfish at the SeaLife Aquarium

pointerSoftware

Here is some of the great technology that companies are making available at no cost for classroom use. Help your students acquire those 21st-century tech skills.

10. Basecamp – A leading web-based project management tool. Great for communication and task management.

11. Learning Chess – Register to access the free chess curriculum. Extensive features in this online suite.

12. Antivirus Software – Free antivirus software for schools. Protect and manage your school’s devices from a central console.

13. Administration Software – Overview of six free and open source school administration software suites.

14. School Forge – A searchable directory of free educational software. Instructional games, student information systems, learning management, and course management software.

15. 3D Design Software – AutoDesk, a leading provider of 3D design software, offers its product free to students and educators.

16. Web Design Software – Free web design software for educators. Includes Web Calendar, Web Form Builder, The HTML Editor, and Responsive Layout Maker.

17. Microsoft Education – Over fifteen free tools and apps for education. A variety of software from math-specific to general computer software.

18. Special Ed Software – Free software for SEN teachers to use in their classrooms. Choose from over 50 tools.

19. Developer Tools – Software from JetBrains for students learning Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, Objective-C, or .NET technologies.

LEGO Club

Computer Graphics World

pointerMagazines

Current events, anyone? Get your class cutting-edge information with these free subscriptions to pique their interest.

20. Trade Magazines – Free subscription to any number of magazines on professional topics. Good for advanced high school classes.

21. Computer Graphics World – Free annual subscription to this professional magazine. The latest on industry trends and technologies.

22. Yes! MagazineOne-year subscription for middle school and high school teachers, as well as librarians.

23. Free LEGO Club Magazine – Students ages 5-9 can receive a free LEGO Club subscription.

24. Nanooze Magazine – Email the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network to request free copies of their student magazine.

25. Scholastic Magazines – Request samples of Scholastic’s magazines for your classroom. Many magazine choices for preschool through high school.

Scholastic Magazines

Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library

pointerBooks and Accompanying Teaching Aids

Want your students to read more books? Check out these resources for complimentary classroom materials.

26. Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library –  Ask each child’s parent to register to receive free storybooks from Dolly Parton’s foundation.

27. Ayn Rand NovelsIf you are committed to teaching Ayn Rand’s novels, this academic year, you can receive a classroom set of her novels, free of charge.

28. Book Donations – An online catalog of organizations that donate books. Some of the organizations on this list donate to students in the US.

29. Jan Brett – Contact this children’s book illustrator to request a free teacher’s pack.

30. Book Bank – Register with First Book’s national book bank to request free books if you teach in a Title I school.

31. T A Barron Gift Box – Aids to help you teach T. A. Barron’s novels to your class. Includes: posters, maps, reading guides, and a documentary DVD.

32. Book Donations – Request books for your school from The Local Donation program of the International Book Project.

33. Kids Need to Read – Educators teaching in economically disadvantaged communities can apply for books for their students.

34. Library of Congress – Apply to participate in the Library of Congress’s surplus book program.

35. The Lisa Libraries – Teachers in low-income areas can request books from this literacy organization.

36. Reading Resource Project – Distributes softcover books for Read Across America Day, Children’s Book Week, International Children’s Book Day, and other literacy programs.

37. Hachette Book Group – If you work in a struggling school district, you can email Hachette to request they donate books to your school.

Hotwheels Speedometry Kit

Save the Manatee

pointerClassroom Supplies/Kits

Not a big enough budget for supplies?  Here are organizations with free classroom resources you can request. If all else fails, you can try your hand at some crowdfunding!

38. School Supplies – Free school supplies for teachers at high-need schools in central Florida.

39. “Crowdfunding” for Supplies – Collect online donations to pay for school supplies. Over 75% of teachers reach their supplies goal using this site.

40. Request Donations – Over 500 teachers have used this site to get free supplies for their classrooms.

41. Adopt A Classroom – Over 10,000 teachers have used this site to connect with donors. Register your classroom to request funds.

42. Schoolhouse Supplies – Free school supplies for teachers in Portland, OR. New and gently used items.

43. The Education Partnership – Register your classroom to request free supplies. For western Pennsylvania teachers.

44. Puberty Teaching Materials – Free DVDs, printed materials, and product samples from Procter & Gamble.

45. Health Booklets – Free booklets on pulmonary health topics from the Will Rogers Institute.

46. Save the Manatee Club – Free resources for educators to help teach students about manatees and manatee preservation.

47. ColgateRequest a Colgate classroom kit that includes a video, posters, storybooks, curriculum, parent take-homes, and Colgate Kid’s toothbrush and toothpaste samples.

48. Speedometry™ Kit – Classroom kit from Hot Wheels for 4th grade teachers. Includes 40 Hot Wheels cars and over 100 ft of track.

Teacher Workshop at the Tennesee Aquarium

Energy Videos

pointerOther

Still, need resources? What about something engaging such as a DVD? Don’t forget online sites such as Facebook Classifieds, Freecycle, or Craigslist, either.

49. National Gallery of Art – Borrow DVDs that cover a range of topics from ancient art to the twentieth century and studies of individual artists.

50. Howard Hughes Medical Institue – Free educational DVDs for educators on science and medical topics.

51. Energy Movie – This DVD includes a documentary, sections each energy type, fourteen Energy 101 videos, and twenty-eight Energy Lab videos.

52. Freecycle – A grassroots and nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own communities.

53. Craigslist – Check the free section of Craigslist in your local area for free items that you can use in your classroom.

54. Aquarium Workshops – Free workshops by the Tennessee Aquarium for schools in Tennessee.

55. Pictures – A safe source for copyright-free images. For use in classrooms, multimedia projects, websites, videos, portfolios, or any projects in an educational setting.